Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

Cheap car insurance for fiesta st for a 18 year old

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Ozz120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap car insurance for fiesta st for a 18 year old

Does any one know of any cheap car insurance for fiesta st for a 18 year old, could go on my mums if needed, have 1 years no claims. Any one out their who could give us some help it would be great...? Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you'll get cheap quotes anywhere mate
Old 07-04-2011, 03:06 PM
turbotoaster

your looking for the golden fleece mate, forget about it
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

Depends on what you call cheap ..... step son has 1 years ncd , just had to swap his insurance over from a 1.0 fiesta mk3 to a 51 plate fiesta 1.25 , he had paid £1600 back in October for the mk 3 and then had to pay another £350 on top to get insured for the balance of the policy to take it up to october this year , and that was as cheap as ke could get it .... not trying to pee people off but if you at 18 can afford a Fiesta ST then guess you should be able to afford the insurance
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ozz120
Does any one know of any cheap car insurance for fiesta st for a 18 year old, could go on my mums if needed, have 1 years no claims. Any one out their who could give us some help it would be great...? Thanks
yeah but insurance companies aren't stupid, if you have your mum as the owner and you as a named driver, they will know you are the main driver, especially if your mums been driving a normal run of the mill motor for years
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Going on your mum's insurance is a false economy. Nothing brings premiums down like NCB! So you really want to be racking that up!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Ozz120

All good points however, My mum is the named driver on my 206 now and many people do it that way now days. And I am with direct line at the min so I get my NBC with them but they wont let me have a ST :]
Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
sammyska
Virgin

I must admit they do hammer young drivers. We always made our kids go by themselves as you have to go by yourself in the end. Make sure you tell the insurance company if there are any mods on the car, alloys and the like, otherwise if you have a bump or claim they wont pay out, so you have paid hundreds/thousands of pounds for nothing. x
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

having your mum as a named driver is fine. Having you as a named driver on her policy is fronting if your really main driver and a totally false economy not to mention illegal.

Add as many old people as additional drivers as you can to bring premium down.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Forget it mate, sorry, you're too young and inexperienced for any insurers to touch you at a halfway close to cheap price.

You cannot get your mum to insure it and you be a named driver as This is called "fronting" which is insurance fraud, a criminal offence. Hertfordshire police have been seizing a few cars of late for this very offence.

Get yourself another 2 years under your belt, you'll be a lot more wise and far lesser risk to the insurers and yourself

Last edited by Oranoco; 08-04-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: auto correct making a mess of my posts. Grrr
Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

It is possible to get insured however it's not going to be cheap.

Martin
Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
:hEnNiKeR:
Bam Bam Bam

I have an ST replica for sale right now and im only down the road in Southport

Go on ebay and type in Fiesta ST Replica. Its the silvery blue one starting bud £2000.

My number is on there too if you want to contact me
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not try the comparison sites for a rough idea.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

[QUOTE=warrenpenalver;5413446]having your mum as a named driver is fine. Having you as a named driver on her policy is fronting if your really main driver and a totally false economy not to mention illegal.

Glad I'm not the only one who gets pissed off at this fronting practice.
tabetha
Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

You cannot get your mum to insure it and you be a named driver as Thu is called "fronting" which is insurance fraud, a criminal offence. Hers police have been seizing a few cars of late for this very offence.

Ace at least one plod force not sitting on it's arse, I reported a mate for fronting.
tabetha
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Reported a "mate"? Good mate then yeah?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Ozz120

Thanks for the tips guys, it helps to no all the info!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Frenchy0204
Get to tha choppa!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I reported a mate for fronting
You bitch!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by JayCC
Reported a "mate"? Good mate then yeah?
i pay higher insurance on my legitimate fully insured fully legal car because of plonkers like this.

In the same vein

i pay high amoutns of tax and NI so sponging cnuts can dring super-t and watch jeremy kyle all day, or fat fuckers having bypasses on the NHS.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Frenchy0204
Get to tha choppa!

I don't see how you guys are paying higher insurances costs for people that front insurance.

If you are fronting your insurance and then go and crash the car, your insurers will not pay you (the driver) any money for repairs to there car if you are found to be fronting, but they do pay for repairs to the persons car that you smashed into. Therefore, I can not see how on earth you are paying more for your insurers due to fronters.

It's not fronters that are causing the rising insurance prices. It's the corrupt government, corrupt insurance companys and corrupt people that file false injury claims. That is whats causing the rising insurance prices, not fronters.

P.S, and no, I do not have an issue with people who front insurance, especially with the prices the way they are nowadays. Even if someone is fronting, they are still insured to drive the car and there insurers will still cover repairs to my car if they smash into me, so why should I worry?

It's un-insured drivers that I hate. They are the dickheads, not fronters.

Last edited by Frenchy0204; 08-04-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Good luck! Why bother anyway? They're one of the slowest and most boring 2litre hatches you can buy. Wait, and get a clio 172/182
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 AM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

alot of my mates back in the day fronted there insurance it didn't seem to be frowned upon i always had my own policy even if it wasn't always what it was supposed too be for the first 2 years lol
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Frenchy0204
Get to tha choppa!

Originally Posted by turbochild
alot of my mates back in the day fronted there insurance it didn't seem to be frowned upon i always had my own policy even if it wasn't always what it was supposed too be for the first 2 years lol
I don't understand why so many people hate, especially with the prices the way they are. IMO, young lads are old enough to make the decision to either have cheap insurance and not earn NCB, or do it the proper way but face huge insurance bills.

At the end of the day, fronting is a deviant thing to do to the insurers, but they are money grabbing bastards and never show us, the motorists, any kindness when it comes to claiming so I think they deserve everything they get.

Besides, fronters are still insured if they hit your car, so why does everyone get so upset about it? I certainly wouldn't go as far as to report a mate for it, unlike that bitch tabetha!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I can understand reporting people who "front", but I wouldn't report a mate for doing it.

It's a mate, talk about destroying trust in one fell swoop!

I insure my car legitimately by the way, and have done since I passed my test. I do NOT condone fronting AT ALL. I'm just pointing out that it seemed odd to be grassing somebody up that is a mate.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 AM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

have you tried to get a quote through need to insure mate ask for paul
Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM
matthewsimone
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
You cannot get your mum to insure it and you be a named driver as Thu is called "fronting" which is insurance fraud, a criminal offence. Hers police have been seizing a few cars of late for this very offence.

Ace at least one plod force not sitting on it's arse, I reported a mate for fronting.
tabetha

You sound like a real nice guy (NOT) as already said, insurance for young drivers these days is an absolute joke they aren't all yobs you know! I passed my test 9 years ago and have never put a foot wrong penalty wise and for the 1st 3 years I went on my dads as a named driver paying absolute peanuts to insure my 1.4SR nova around £300 compared to my mates £2000 also earned no claims bonus on my dads policy as a named driver then went on my own at age 20 and managed to get a ok premium put it this way I was driving a civic type R at 22 for around £600 a year so how people can say its false economy is absolute rubbish just got to be clever about it OH and not being an idiot also helps,
Fronting or no fronting it saved me thousands in insurance premiums and il do exactly the same for my own lad one day
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchy0204
I don't see how you guys are paying higher insurances costs for people that front insurance.

If you are fronting your insurance and then go and crash the car, your insurers will not pay you (the driver) any money for repairs to there car if you are found to be fronting, but they do pay for repairs to the persons car that you smashed into. Therefore, I can not see how on earth you are paying more for your insurers due to fronters.

It's not fronters that are causing the rising insurance prices. It's the corrupt government, corrupt insurance companys and corrupt people that file false injury claims. That is whats causing the rising insurance prices, not fronters.

P.S, and no, I do not have an issue with people who front insurance, especially with the prices the way they are nowadays. Even if someone is fronting, they are still insured to drive the car and there insurers will still cover repairs to my car if they smash into me, so why should I worry?

It's un-insured drivers that I hate. They are the dickheads, not fronters.
If the person with the fronted policy had insured legitimately, they would have contributed a higher premium to the cost of repairing the third party's car, and it's that failure to do so that costs the rest of us more.

They fronted to save themselves money, or to drive a car that they were otherwise unable to insure at all. TBH, it's one notch up from driving without insurance.

When I was 17 I genuinely, honestly and sincerely believed I was a great driver. Even after crashing my car twice, it wasn't my fault - a defective tyre, and the geriatric that hit me (that one really wasn't my fault), but in both cases maybe with more experience I could have avoided the damage).

Both my boys passed their test, and then Pass-Plus. Touch wood, the minor bumps they both had right at the start showed them they had a lot to learn and I'm happy to say they are both better drivers than me, and are on the road legitimately.

And let's not start on the whole keyboard-warrior "I hate grasses" argument again. We've been there and done that and if you care enough you can go look for the old thread(s).
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
snOOpy86

Am i right in thinking that named drivers with direct line only have NCB with direct line? i.e these NCB are not valid with any other insurer?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Correct.

Though if they then take a year's insurance, at the end of that their renewal notice should state (for example) 3 years NCB which could be taken elsewhere.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM
callummarshall

you have options
1) stick with what you have got rack up NCB
2) Buy/ make a replica
3) go one step up to a zetec s they are more insurable
4) pay the stupid ammounts for the st

im in the same boat as you mate you just gotta get experience and older and keep your licence clean, im keeping what ive got but on the hunt for a ZS

as for fronting dont bother with it although going in your own name is more expensive at first it works out cheaper
i was
1st year £2,875
2nd year £895
3rd year £385

my mate who fronted was
1st year £1,750
2nd year £1,550
3rd year £1,200

and his quotes for next year on his own at 20 with no ncb are high aswell

Last edited by callummarshall; 08-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Sp3no

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy asking this question is the same guy who thinks it is perfectly ok to put an ST150 engine in a lower model shell and not tell the insurance company about it. If this is your grand plan why bother insuring your car at all because it would be a waste of money as the insurance would be invalid any way, hell dont tax it either as you will be paying the wrong tax for the car also.
Your young, inexperienced and your insurance will be high, deal with it, we all managed.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Puts me in mind of some words of wisdom back when I was young and the world's best driver:
"Any fool can go fast in a straight line, so spend your money making the car quicker through the bends!"

Upgrading the engine without doing the same with brakes and suspension is just silly.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

Like someone already said - bite the bullet for the 1st year's insurance and prices will plummet. On a mk3 fiesta Mine went 1300 (ten years ago) TPFT to 700 fully comp on a pug 106.

Then 650 on a focus 1.8 to 330.

Then 470 on a focus ST3 when I was 24.

Like I say, bite the bullet and bide your time