Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus Glow Plug Light Flashing & Cut Out on Motorway

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2009, 07:47 PM
nosnibordt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus Glow Plug Light Flashing & Cut Out on Motorway

Focus 1.8 TDCI 115PS Durateq engine, 67k, fully serviced, no significant issues until this.
Car has cut out on Motorway 4 occasions in two days over only about 30 miles (every occasion between 50mph & 70). Each time, glow plug light flashed and lost all throttle response. Luckily I've been able to get to hard shoulder on each occasion. Car won't restart immediately, turns over but doesn't 'fire up', glow plug light flashes again. After 5-10 minutes restarts as if nothing has happened.

Taken to local garage who fitted new pedal assembly as fly by wire suspected faulty. This didn't help - same problem occurred twice afterwards. Fuel filter was also checked for water and crankshaft sensor inspected for dirt etc (was spotless). No faults found on diagnostics either by this garage or AA.

Any help or ideas on what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated, I fear I'll have to try a main dealer and spend large amounts of my savings..
Old 14-08-2009, 08:38 PM
ivan
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

had the same problem on my ST TDCi, cleaned the EGR and the MAF sensor, no problems since then.

Another thing to check gor is split pipes to and from the turbo

Mine showed nothing on the diagnostics either, but then once you turned the ignition off and on again you will clear the ECU, so your not likely to see any codes
Old 13-01-2011, 09:10 PM
whippetcrazy
Virgin

Angry Focus Glow Plug Light Flashing

Mine is doing this too, its a 52 plate 1.8 TDi estate. Has done this intermittently, exactly as you have said. AA had to tow me back last time, have had the glow plugs replaced and just now the air flow meter (thats what the error code said) but this morning as I went to work it did it again in heavy traffic! Waited a few minutes and re-started and managed to get it back to the garage. It is still there. Perhaps this is a Ford fault with this model of Focus, could it be the 'chip'? This one has also decided to show a false reading on the fuel gauge. The only way I know how much is in it is by using the trip to clock the miles driven.
Any help would be much appreciated as I have to drive 24 miles each way to work, 5 days a week and am ready to put this car in the crusher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by whippetcrazy; 13-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Blakeya
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Cam position sensor is my bet !!
Old 14-01-2011, 12:16 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

The chap i work with his mondeo TDCI did this then 3 weeks later his clutch/dual mass flywheel went a bollock and took his starter motor teeth with it.. spent near on a grand on a new clutch/dmf/starter/ and the problem with the flashing glow plug light and conking out has stopped now, either coincedence or something to do with the flywheel/crank position sensor? isnt the DMF fucking up on newer TDCi fords a common problem too?
Old 22-11-2011, 11:02 PM
ShavedApe
Virgin

I have had this too on a 03 plate tddi 1.8 only mine went from bad to worse and now the car will not turn over at all I have dashes where my mileage should be car just wont turn over at all not even a click.

Ive been told ECU fault ive also been told Pump failure, wouldnt mind knowing what it is so I know how much money its going to cost me dont want to start throwing money at it because people are guessing.

All electrics work fine just no response when I turn key and dashes show in mileage.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM
mondeomancz
Virgin

Default mondeo cuts out and glow plug flashes

I had this problem a year ago. I changed the cam position sensor. No problems since.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM
skippy,rst
Part of the Furniture

i bought my ex mrs a focus tdci non running 03 plate cut out on the person i bought it off with the glow plug flashing,, my scanner (snap on) didnt really give me much info, my mate works in fords and plugged it in for me, it was the injectors needed re coding only ford can do it, he done that and it was fine ever since.

jeff
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM
RsS2daz
Regular Contributor

Ford are not only people that can do it anyone with the right diagnostic equipment can most garages, I work at colchester fuel injection Ltd
Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Stephen Milner
Virgin

Cool Glow plug light flashing

2000 Ford Focus 1.8 turbodiesel 160,000 Km. For five years it has stopped every 3 months or so and gone to tickover. No response on accelerator. Turn off and restart engine and it's ok for another 3 months. Except 9 months ago and 2 days ago it did the same thing every minute on the same 30 Km journey and with same wet weather. Next day it started and did it once or twice and then no more problems for months. The car is nearly 14 years old and has been a workhorse carrying building materials. It's not worth spending much money on it. Any ideas?
Old 21-05-2014, 08:38 PM
bluebell01
Virgin

Default four dashes

I had the same non start or drop into limp mode,I got the four dashes on the speedo. With the fault hard on I got an error code indicating no communications .take the speed pod out in plug the cable remove the back white cover,sprat PCB,plug socket and now the visible cable end with switch cleaner and bend the two metal tags down to put more pressure on the PCB. Job done.rebuild.this cure has fixed three cars so far.good kuck
Old 08-11-2017, 04:50 PM
StefanCurpas
Virgin

Originally Posted by ShavedApe
I have had this too on a 03 plate tddi 1.8 only mine went from bad to worse and now the car will not turn over at all I have dashes where my mileage should be car just wont turn over at all not even a click.

Ive been told ECU fault ive also been told Pump failure, wouldnt mind knowing what it is so I know how much money its going to cost me dont want to start throwing money at it because people are guessing.

All electrics work fine just no response when I turn key and dashes show in mileage.
Hi

I bought an 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi a couple of months ago. Everything was just fine, than I've got home, left the car, got back to do some shopping, engine wouldn't start. It was turning but that was it. The problem was the fuel line that went from the diesel filter to the pump. I've replaced that and everything was great afterwards. Fast forward a month or two. The engine died every time I was reversing up a hill. It worked perfectly fine in any other given situation. Asked some friends for help. We found out that two of those rubber tubes that go from the intercooler to the turbo were punctured and they were loosing pressure and oil. Changed that, changed oil and filters and everything was great. Fast forward one month it died while climbing a hill. That time it died for good, it would't turn, I had no power, no electricity, nothing. I was turning the key and nothing happened. Waited a few minutes, it started and ran perfectly. The problem was that the battery terminals weren't properly fixed in place, and from the heat and everything they expanded too much and they weren't making contact anymore. So the problem could be something really small and insignificant. You should check this first and only then trow money on pumps and injectors. One of my friends is working in a Bosch service and he told me that this engine and fuel system won't die on you. Never.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:02 AM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

My eyes, ever heard of a paragraph?